I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet got ourselves. ~ E. M. Forster
Monday, September 27, 2010
The Book of Air and Shadows
We just finished discussing The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber. It was a long book - and not one of us actually finished it, but not because it wasn't interesting! I was hooked by the first few pages. Any book that has adventure, book binding, copyright laws, and librarians all involved in the plot is a book for me! And Gruber's writing is captivating. Except for the chapters with the old English. Those are a bit tedious. But kudos to the research it took to do that! So will I finish it? Absolutely!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am also enjoying this book. I'm a little more than halfway through right now. I love his style of writing (even the Olde English!-must be the historian coming out). Is it too much to say that he writes not for the masses, but for the more educated reader? Or am I just thinking too elitist here? Whatever! Once you get past the inflated machismo of the main character, it's a darn good yarn.
ReplyDeleteKeep on reading!