I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet got ourselves. ~ E. M. Forster
Thursday, October 14, 2010
The Milagro Beanfield War
Okay so I'm not too sure how we are supposed to be using this blog, but... I was wondering how far everyone has gotten in our October reading and if I'm the only one that hasn't even started yet. Yikes! :-(
Maya dear - however you want to use this is fine. I'm not very far either and we meet Friday - but the point is to at least get a feel for the book. Watching the movie is fine too. Sometimes discussing the story is almost as good as reading it!
Well, I think this book beat us. Most of us did not get the chance to read the whole thing, but I think we got an idea of it. I hope that these kinds of experiences will stay with us and maybe even if we don't finish it this month, we'll be in a library or book store some day and pick it up and think, "hmmm.... I've been thinking about this book ever since we picked it for book club, think I'll really take the time to read it". We did however, have a great discussion (one that is STILL going on) about whether or not Amarante "dies" in the end - of the movie that is - yes, many of us resorted to watching the film. Oh bad book clubbies! Not really - we encourage any exploration of the story. Keep reading!!!
Maya dear - however you want to use this is fine. I'm not very far either and we meet Friday - but the point is to at least get a feel for the book. Watching the movie is fine too. Sometimes discussing the story is almost as good as reading it!
ReplyDeletethx dydemus...i'm watching it now and on to the next challenge of finding a good read for everyone...
ReplyDeleteWell, I think this book beat us. Most of us did not get the chance to read the whole thing, but I think we got an idea of it. I hope that these kinds of experiences will stay with us and maybe even if we don't finish it this month, we'll be in a library or book store some day and pick it up and think, "hmmm.... I've been thinking about this book ever since we picked it for book club, think I'll really take the time to read it". We did however, have a great discussion (one that is STILL going on) about whether or not Amarante "dies" in the end - of the movie that is - yes, many of us resorted to watching the film. Oh bad book clubbies! Not really - we encourage any exploration of the story. Keep reading!!!
ReplyDelete